Driver Charged with Manslaughter and DWI in Crash that Killed NYC DEP Employee in Queens
A driver has been charged with vehicular manslaughter, operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content above .08, and driving while intoxicated in connection with a crash in Queens in July. This crash killed a New York City Department of Environmental Protection employee. Errick Persaud, 24, was driving a Mercedes on Lefferts Boulevard when it collided with a City-owned vehicle that was traveling on Atlantic Avenue in Richmond Hill around 2:35 a.m.
The force of this collision triggered the City-owned vehicle to flip over onto its its side, leading to the 38-year-old passenger being ejected. This passenger was later was pronounced dead at Jamaica Hospital. The 40-year-old driver of that vehicle was checked out at the scene and was expected to be okay. Thursday afternoon, Persaud remained hospitalized for various injuries from the crash.
“DEP is devastated this morning after one of our own was killed on-duty last night when the DEP truck he was riding in was hit by a car. His co-worker, the person driving, suffered from minor injuries, DEP Commissioner Rohit T. Aggarwala shared in a statement. “Like so many of our employees, these two sewer maintenance workers were serving our City by ensuring that critical city operations run effectively 24/7. Our hearts go out to the family and our profound gratitude goes out to both men for their service to our city.”
This tragic incident highlights the dangers of drunk driving and the importance of responsible behavior on the road. It is essential to always prioritize safety and avoid driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The consequences of drunk driving can cause many problems, both for the driver and the victims involved. It is crucial to raise awareness about the dangers of drunk driving and promote responsible behavior to prevent future tragedies.
Whether a truck accident is caused by a truck driver or another driver on the road, such accidents can be deadly for the following reasons:
- Trucks are much larger and heavier than passenger vehicles, which means they can cause more damage in a collision.
- Trucks have longer stopping distances and require more space to maneuver, which can make it difficult to avoid accidents.
- Trucks are often carrying heavy loads, which can shift during transport and cause the truck to become unstable.
- Truck drivers may be fatigued, distracted, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, which can impair their ability to drive safely.
- If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident, it is important to work with an attorney who has experience handling these types of cases. Here are some reasons why:
- Truck accident cases can be complex and require specialized knowledge of federal and state regulations governing the trucking industry.
- Trucking companies and their insurers may try to avoid liability by blaming the victim or minimizing the extent of their injuries.
A truck accident attorney can help you or your loved ones obtain compensation following an accident. An attorney can provide assistance by negotiating with the insurance companies, helping you gather evidence, and providing representation in the courtroom. A New York truck accident can be devastating due to the size and weight of the vehicles involved, and it is important to work with an experienced truck accident attorney at Truck Law to protect your rights and pursue justice.